A Brief A.I.I. History
The American Institute of Inspectors was formed in 1989 by five men who were searching for a uniform credentialing body with mandatory standards for home inspectors. When it was discovered that none existed A.I.I. was born.
The American Institute of Inspectors is a non-profit corporation established as a national inspection trade association. The purpose of the association is to promote a high level of professionalism in the inspection industry by certifying qualified individuals as inspectors. This is accomplished through approved training and examination of those who apply for certification.
The A.I.I. Board of Directors is composed of Inspection and Construction Educators, Insurance Professionals, Attorneys, as well as Active and Retired Inspectors. All have high regard for professionalism in the Inspection Industry. This Board donates their time and effort for the benefit of the Association Membership
Certified Members operate under the Standards of Practice and Code of Ethics of the American Institute of Inspectors.
We are an association of Inspectors helping Inspectors, supporting and assisting each other. Our 24/7 Hotline is an unparalleled communication device in the home inspection industry, providing answers, education, friendship, and support.
A.I.I. BOARD OF DIRECTORS - 2018
Chairman: Larry Stamp, firstname.lastname@example.org
President: Scott Neimann, email@example.com
Vice President: Jon Derhammer, firstname.lastname@example.org
Secretary: Nathan Buckley, email@example.com
Treasurer: Bill Bergstedt, firstname.lastname@example.org
Member Director: Ed Atkins, email@example.com
Member Director: Mike Sanderson, firstname.lastname@example.org
Director at Large: Mike Casey, email@example.com
American Institute of Inspectors® - Purpose/Mission
The American Institute of Inspectors®, Inc, (A.I.I.) is a Non-Profit Association of individuals who themselves perform inspections of residential, industrial, and commercial properties, and prepare written reports on their condition and who have met the requirements for membership as determined by the Board of Directors.
This Association was formed in order:
TO build awareness and professionalism in the home inspector
TO promote excellence within the profession and to improve the inspection industry through the A.I.I.™ philosophy of business expressed through the Association’s Standards of Practice, Code of Ethics, and other mutual benefit criteria.
TO provide members and others with a forum in which to enhance their professionalism through education, an informed exchange of ideas, and other related benefits that can be provided best by an international association.
TO interact with related professions, the legal community, and government bodies as a leading authority in the home and building inspection profession.
The Standards of Practice and the Code of Ethics are the minimum standards to which a member shall be held in order to maintain membership in the association.
CODE OF ETHICS
The Philosophy required for success in the inspection industry is embodied in our Code of Ethics to which all members subscribe and will be held accountable.
• Members SHALL discharge their duties with fidelity to the public, their clients, and with fairness and impartiality to all and shall respect and recognize the rights, individuality, and dignity of individuals and not knowingly discriminate or permit discrimination on the basis of race, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, or religion.
• Every effort SHALL be made to avoid a conflict of interest. The member shall have absolutely no vested interest in the outcome of the report. The inspection may not be used as a vehicle to deliberately obtain additional work in another field.
• Member Inspectors shall NOT overly scrutinize the property. The Inspector’s opinion shall only be based on their education, experience, and honest convictions. The purpose of an A.I.I.™ Certified Inspection is to objectively state the conditions of the property so that the buyer can make an informed purchase decision.
• Member Inspectors SHALL address the “Durability” and “Serviceability” of the components of a property as outlined in the A.I.I.™ Report Forms and shall NOT be used to determine the “Desirability” or “value” of a property.
• Members shall NOT make repairs or give repair estimates for any condition found on an inspected property or offer an appraisal or opinion of the market value of the inspected property.
• All members agree to submit to binding arbitration of any disputes concerning the practice of their profession.
• Member Inspectors SHALL fully disclose the scope of the inspection work, the fee structure, and make no false representations regarding services or qualifications.
• Member Inspectors SHALL refrain from making derogatory comments of other members or members of related professions in the real estate or inspection community. High professional standards of integrity and performance are guiding principles.
• It shall be a violation of the Code of Ethics for a member of the Board of Directors to take a position as a witness against an A.I.I.™ member in a court of law.
• A member will NOT disclose any information concerning the results of the inspection without the approval of the client.
• A member shall NOT accept compensation from more than one interested party for the same service.
• A member shall NOT accept nor offer commissions or allowances, rebates, kickbacks, or gifts, directly or indirectly, from other parties to induce referrals or reciprocity in the practice of their business beyond items of nominal value given as part of advertising or normal conduct of business.
• Members SHALL always advertise and seek business according to the A.I.I.™ Advertising Guidelines and shall not engage in false or misleading advertising or otherwise misrepresent any matters to the public.
• A member SHALL execute work in conformity with federal, state, and local laws, maintain all necessary licenses and qualifications, and refuse to be a party to any action that violates these regulations.
• Members SHALL make every effort to uphold, maintain, and improve the professional integrity, reputation, and practice of the inspection industry.
• Members are committed to ongoing professional development and continuing education as established by the A.I.I.™ Board of Directors.